Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thoughts

money can't buy you happiness. this is a lie. if i had money i would buy myself expensive things and that would make me happy. money can't buy you friends. this is also a lie. if i had money i could buy expensive gifts to give them to people who would then want to be my friend.

if you say you don't want to be rich and are happy being poor, stop lying to yourself. why would you want to be poor? it's 2012 for god's sake. if there were only two other people in the world, a billionaire and a poor person, and you had to choose one to spend the rest of you life with, who would you choose?

what about those middle-class people? are they happy being mediocre? probably. they probably worked their asses off to get from poor to where they are now. nobody is born rich, unless of course you're royalty.

i don't look down on poor people. in fact i look up to them. they have more courage and guts than anyone else to survive in this world today. but obviously if i was given a choice, i would be richie-rich rich!

i am a very materialistic person and i admit to that. a friend once said to me 'people only buy iPads to show the world that they can afford an iPad', and i agree. i own an iPad. i also own an iphone, a macbook pro, a sony nex3, a canon dslr, a playstation 3 and a PSP. i like having these gadgets because it makes me feel expensive. it's also a very good conversation-starter, 'hey, is that the new iphone? i got one too! :)'. these things are of course valiant gifts my parents have showered me with. i am grateful, extremly grateful that i come from a very well-to-do family. i am contented with my life, but i've always wanted more.

i should explain the part about me wanting to feel expensive. i am surrounded by people who have it all, everything a girl my age would want. it's sort of my way of fitting in i guess. i have the need to make myself 'expensive' to fit in. at this point some of you may start to say 'you don't have to do that to fit in, just be yourself :)' oh bullcrap. if i were to be myself, i would be at home everyday in my underwear slouching in front of the tv digging into my tub of Ben & Jerrys. it's just the sort of surrounding i grew up in. everyone's bragging about how much their new handbag cost or where they got their new Christian Louboutin shoes from. I'm obliged to comply.

yes, tell me i'm a spoiled brat. it won't change the way i like to live my life. you can go on about how there are needs and necessities and you should only buy the things you need... blah blah blah. why do you have an iphone? you can just use a laoyah nokia phone, it can make calls and texts just as well. don't say that to me because i know you have an iphone too!

No comments: